CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

My hubs on Good Things Utah Aug. 24, 2010

Friday, October 3, 2008

Emergency Preparedness

So we attended a Emergency Preparedness fair last Sat. Of course the only pic's I took were of the huge Fire Truck (cuz it was the coolest.) The Fire woman was so fun and helpful with the boys. Briggy was upset he didn't have his Fireman Hat, and he just KNEW the siren's would be going off any minute, so he kept his ear's covered. And helpful zGunter was attempting to PULL Briggy's hands away from his ears. Which made Briggy screech as loud as the Siren would have. fun stuff
Boys will be boys though, they were in heaven getting to climb in and look around inside.
Look at that cool sticker badge


And here is our food storage in the making

We finally got our 55 gallon water tanks on Sat. whoo hoo! The lack of them really was keeping me up at night. And with all the disasters going on around the world. Well...I must say it feels better to be more prepared! We have been working on our "on the go emergency" stuff too. Its in the garage ready to split if we needed too. I call it camping gear..LOL We still need to ad some clothes, running shoes, and cash.

Here is some of the things we reference too. Family Home Storage

I am so grateful for the leaders of our Church advising us to be prepared.

If ye are prepared ye shall not fear, D&C 38: 30

Thanks for checkin in with us!! :)

So does anyone have any great tips they can give me? Who knows about those water purification tablets? And so its every 6months we will need to replace the water in our 55 gallon tanks, right?

7 comments:

Michele said...

You are seriously on top of things. Your food storage looks great. I think the most frustrating thing about living in an apartment is NOT having enough room for what I want. I have our entire storage full of food storage, wheat, water, wheat grinder and a few other things. I even have things in our extra bathtub like toilet paper!

I am very impressed.

Thomas Family said...

Your storage looks great. Looks like you have some handy can dispensers. Do you like them?

As for the water thing, I referred to the Red Cross website. They say the water purification tablets are NOT recommended, but a few drops of household bleach should do the job. You should look it up, it's full of all sorts of good info.

Also, my sis has a friend that lives in Texas, and just lived through that hurricane. She said good ole baby wipes come in very handy for many hygeine issues. Just something for you to think about.

Liked your scriptural reference!!

Thomas Family said...

LaDaz...try this address:
http://www.redcross.org/images/pdfs/preparedness/A5055.pdf

~Pam said...

I think the best thing I have heard lately on getting food storage saavy is, picking 10 recipes you know your family will eat, and writing down evey ingredient in those recipes times by 36 (to get a years supply). Then, you know exactly what you need to buy and you know you have the ingredients to make meals if their is a disaster. Our Stake has just put out a Great pamphlet with this exact idea, call me if you want more info!

~Pam said...

I can't believe I spelled the wrong 'there'! Sorry, I really do know the difference between the spellings!!!! Ha! and I see another spelling mistake....I guess I should proof read Before I post!!!!

jody said...

The first step is to fill the containers with water. In order to do that you have to have the tool to open them. We have had ours for 10 or so years and they just barely got filled up this summer!

The storage looks great!

Connie said...

My brother in law tested out his water storage before he refilled it--let's just say...they aren't kidding when they say rotating it is important!! He was sick for two days!!

It looks like you have a great start.